Trump represents an odd choice for those who identify as libertarians.
- Identify constitutionality of every new law:
- Reject emissions trading:
- Demand a balanced federal budget:
- Simplify the tax system:
- Audit federal government agencies for constitutionality:
- Limit annual growth in federal spending:
- Repeal the health care legislation passed on March 23, 2010:
- Pass an 'All-of-the-Above' Energy Policy:
- Reduce Earmarks:
- Reduce Taxes:
However libertarian positions are not nearly so beloved by the Tea Party base, and Trump has since blown apart the fragile policy alliance.
Simply put, the Tea Party base never really took its proclaimed principles to heart. Journalist Matt Taibbi conducted research the movement and observed that Tea Partiers were anti-tax and anti-entitlement, except when it came to their own entitlements. He concludes: